[ Midtown Madness 2 Central ] [ Midtown Madness 2 Central ]

Midtown Madness 2 Central > The Bodyshop > A Beginner's Guide To Modeling For MM2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic | View next topic

How did you find this tutorial?
Very helpful
58%
 58%  [ 31 ]
Very helpful
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Very helpful
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 53

Author
Message Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
b12man
Nirvanophile

Xbox Live Gamertag:
ForeignBrian 12
Post subject: Reply with quote

You've made me want to attempt to model a car. Thanks!
Great tutorial Wink

Tutorials || Make Your Own Traffic | Change Traffic Tuning
Projects || 93 Mustang GT | 85 Chevy Suburban [WIP]
Post 02 May 2008 08:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

LESSON 4: MODELING REVISITED
PART 1: Finishing Touches

We left off last time texturing our half-body. It looks much better with the textures and colors but something seems to be missing and keeps the half-body looking very plain. We need to add the doorlines and other outlining details and there are a few ways of doing this.

Method 1. Draw the outlines in the textures so that when the textures are mapped, the outlines will fall into place.

Method 2. Make a thin line of polys where the outlining details should be and texture these polys black or similar dark colors.

Method 3. Carve out the outlines by making two or three thin lines of polys where the outlining details should be, detach the whole group of them or each strand, move the middle line of vertices/polys a bit inside and texture them the same color as the body.

Method 1 takes too much effort and you don't get your bang for the buck most of the time. I've never tried Method 2 but it seems very easy and effective. Beginners should try it. I will show Method 3 below because it looks the best, is 3D and thats how I planned this tutorial. It will be very easy to do now because the texturing is already done. We just have to break, reorient and detach.

Identify where all the door outlines are in the Cherokee. Don't forget to check the hood, roof, rear and near the windows. Using the Break&Reorient method, make 2 thin lines of polys around these outlines (as shown on the blueprints).

Before:

After:

Select the vertices in between the 2 thin lines of polies and move them inwards a bit. Then detach both thin lines from the rest of the body and reattach to the body. Calculate normals and you should get something like below.

Actually, I think it would have been easier to detach the faces first and then move the vertices inwards. Then you continue by reattaching the faces to rest of the car and calculating normals. Sorry, but I just realised this as I was going along.

Anyway, you can also make the handles using the breaking method, but I won't for this tutorial.

We are almost ready to start the duplicating process. Check to make sure that everything is done on the half that we made so far. IF there is nothing else to model, nothing else to texture, we can go ahead.

One minor thing to fix is the alignment of the vertices that are on the open edge. In either Top, Front or Back view and with the "See-Through" feature enabled, select the vertices using the rectangle selector tool. Be very careful and DO NOT select any vertices that are not on the edge. Then go to Modify>Align>View and turning SEL on, click on a vertex in Right view. The selected vertices will snap to an imaginary plane. Then move the vertices to the very center (gray line) of the blueprint using either Top or Front view.

Note: The following procedure may seem a bit tedious and pointless, but please bear (endure) with me. You will thank me later.

We will need some light objects later on, so we can get some from our existing half-body model. First, detach the headlights. You'll see two objects in the Objects List; half-body and whatever you decided to call the headlights when you detached it. Right-click on the headlight object and go to Create Copy and name the new object. Now you have a total of 3 objects. Hide one of the headlight objects by clicking its name in the objects list and move the other one a little in front of the car (use Z-axis lock, in objects level).

Repeat with the tail-lights to get a total of 5 objects.

On the tail-light object that you moved some distance away from the main body, visualize where the reverse-lights, brake-lights and tail-lights of the real car go. To help you do that, you can click the corner button in the Back view window and go to Settings>Shade,Fill and turn on Solid.

Break up the object's faces accordingly and detach the faces into the three categories. Don't worry about the messed up textures since we're going to re-texture anyway. Also move each new object away from each other so that in Top view, you can see all the objects clearly by themselves and not half-hidden by any other object (except two mentioned below). This way, we can detach them easily later on.

Also, make a duplicate of the headlight object that you moved away from the main body and move it even further away.

So, to count again, you should have the following:

-A main body
-A headlight object (not moved from body)
-A tail-light object (not moved)
-A reverse-light object
-A brake-light object
-A tail-light (smaller) object
-A headlight object (moved away)
-Another headlight object (moved further away)

Then attach all eight objects (use Select>All in objects level) together to make one. You can call this final object "right-half" or something like that.

Create a copy of the "right-half" object and name the new object "left-half". Hide the right-half by clicking its name in the objects list. We are going to do 3 important things only along the X-axis, so turn on the X-axis lock.

1. Go to Modify>Mirror and click the left-half object (in object level).
2. Go to Modify>Reorient and click the object.
3. Go to Modify>Move and move the left-half so that the vertices on the open edge are at the center of the blueprints. Or, its also healthy to keep both the right and left halves a very small and EQUAL distance away from the center gray line.

Then unite the two halves together.

To get rid of the gap between the two halves, we need to select TWO AND ONLY TWO adjacent vertices and unite them. To do this, get into vertex level and go to Select>Quadr. Right-click and drag to make a rectangular selection around two vertices from the two halves that are next to each other.

The two vertices will be selected. Then go to Create>Objects>UniteSelect and left-click on one of the selected vertices. Both vertices will fuse into one.

Be careful when you get to the edges that you've detached before. Where you think there is one vertex, in fact, there is two or more vertices. If you think you are selecting 2, in reality, 4 or more will be selected.

FIX: Move the vertex lying on top or belonging to a certain face or edge first and repeat on left-half. Unite these identified vertices and repeat with extra vertices.

Continue all the way around the model. You will need to use Top, Back, Bottom and Front views but not any of the Side views. Its also a good idea to turn off the "See-through" feature.

NOTES:
-When you detach faces and calculate normals, the edges appear very sharp. What if you just want the edge to be pronounced with a definite shape but not appear as sharp as detaching will produce? Make a thin line or a few thin lines of polies over the edge and let them be very very close to each other, just as did when making the doorlines. But this time, don't do any detaching, just calculate the normals. The edge will appear sharp, but not too sharp.

Thats all for now I think. Next lesson, we make wheels and name all the objects properly. That will be all for the modeling part. Then we will move onto putting the car in game.

JUMP TO ANOTHER LESSON:
LESSON 1: SOFTWARE & BLUEPRINTS - PAGE 1
LESSON 2 PART 1: MODELING THE SIDE - PAGE 2
LESSON 2 PART 2: MODELING THE REST OF THE BODY - PAGE 3
LESSON 3: TEXTURING - PAGE 3
LESSON 4 PART 1: FINISHING TOUCHES - PAGE 4
LESSON 4 PART 2: THE OBJECT LIST - PAGE 4
LESSON 5: PACKAGING TO .AR - PAGE 5
LESSON 6: THE EXTRAS - PAGE 6
LESSON 7: MODELING REFINED - PAGE 6
TUNING AND AUDIO FILES EXPLAINED - PAGE 7
HOW TO MAKE ANIMATED TEXTURES - PAGE 8
HOW TO MAKE A COP CAR & SIRENS - PAGE 11

DOWNLOADS:
PDF VERSION (LESSONS 1 - 7 ONLY) + JEEP.Z3D + JEEP.AR - MMARCHIVE - MM2X
LESSON 1 - VIDEO
LESSON 2 - VIDEO

Helping Hand Award

Last edited by Silent1Unknown on 08 Mar 2009 12:44 pm; edited 5 times in total
Post 04 May 2008 06:38 am
thenthornthing
MM2C Hooligan

Very good Very Happy
Good way of modelling.
Post 04 May 2008 07:49 am
evo
MM2C Guru

I think this is a brilliant tutorial! It makes me want to try and model once again!
Post 04 May 2008 11:29 am
evo
MM2C Guru

Big announcement:-
Web Page version
Post 04 May 2008 11:31 am
wannagoodcar
is no bus n00b but you are one

Evo, I am aware that this is a big announcement but may you please try and edit your previous post. Wink

I beed noice, normally I would have said Evo, there is an Edit button and there is no need to double post you retard Mad
Post 04 May 2008 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alexsim2004
MM2C Forums Addict

Web page version is great Smile
Post 04 May 2008 12:07 pm
busboy99
MM2C Hooligan

Web version is excellent! At last, a tutorial that even a n00b can understand!!!!!

I reckon, this topic should be a sticky, ay Ripp? Razz
A boy was singing in a school hall when suddenly the immensity of the infinite universe hit him, and his eyes blasted out of their sockets and his lips burst and he fell to the ground and wept, his conciousness leaking out of his skull in gas form (which frightened the younger children).
- Chriddof
Also, I'm banned.
Post 04 May 2008 12:15 pm
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

Who made the web page? Is that Evo's or Bradley's?

It looks nice. It missing all the lesson titles though. Try to put them in. And next time, I would appreciate if the author would ask me for permission first. I can't say I'm angry, but I feel a bit.....surprised, thats all.

P.S. I am a noob at this computer and internet stuff. Anyone want to teach me how to make a free website where I can host all my stuff?
Helping Hand Award
Post 04 May 2008 03:36 pm
evo
MM2C Guru

Silent1Unknown wrote:
Who made the web page? Is that Evo's or Bradley's?

It looks nice. It missing all the lesson titles though. Try to put them in. And next time, I would appreciate if the author would ask me for permission first. I can't say I'm angry, but I feel a bit.....surprised, thats all.

P.S. I am a noob at this computer and internet stuff. Anyone want to teach me how to make a free website where I can host all my stuff?

1.)Mine Wink
2.) I'm sorting them into different pages, the full version is only tempory. Mr. Green
3.) Sorry, my bad Embarassed
4.) If you don't want me to upload it, fine by me
Edit: Multi - Page version
Post 04 May 2008 05:55 pm
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

LESSON 4: MODELING REVISITED
PART 2: The Object List

We're pretty much done modeling our car and light objects. Now we move onto the wheels, shadow and bound. Don't worry, these are very quick models compared to the car.

First, we'll make the wheel and copy it 3 times. I show 2 methods here, one simple and another fully 3D. I recommend the beginner to make the simple wheel.

Here we go:

THE SIMPLE WHEEL:

Find the "Cylinder" button on the toolbar at the top. In the Right view window, click once on the center of the front wheel and move the cursor away to enlarge the circular boundary.

When its right, click again to set the radius of the cylinder and a farmiliar box will appear. Name it something like "wheel 1" and then you can change the Horizontal steps and Vertical steps to whatever you like. I set H-steps to 20 and V-steps to 0.

Move some vertices around, detach some faces, calculate normals, texture it and you'll get something like this:

Thats it for the simple wheel. More advanced modelers may want a more 3D shape though. So...

THE 3D WHEEL:

This time, use the "Tube" tool (found somewhere near the cylinder tool) to make the rubber tire first (textured black) and then make an "inner rim" (textured silver). Click once to initiate making of the tube, click a second time to set outer radius, click a third time to set inner radius and finally, click a fourth time to set width of the tube.

Then create one spoke like so:

Copy it four times to get a total of five copies.

Go to Display>Local Axis>Move and move the local axis of the spoke to the very tip. Repeat for all spokes.

Its also a good idea to go Display>Place Axis and click once at the very tip of a spoke. You only have to do this once because there is only one global axis.

Hide all the spokes except spoke #2. Then lock the X-axis and go to Modify>Rotate. You'll notice a certain toolbar at the top becomes active. Scroll on it until you get 72 (because 360/5 = 72). This means that anything we rotate now will rotate in increments of 72 and only about the X-axis. So rotate spoke #2 until it snaps to the first position (72 degrees).

Unhide spoke #3 and rotate it twice. Rotate spoke #4 three times. Rotate spoke #5 four times.

Unite all the spokes into one object. You can also unite the individual vertices as we did with the car. Put it all together and you have a 3D wheel!

Now you can copy it 3 times and put the other wheels in place.

When you name the wheels, they must have specific names.

The front-left wheel will be called WHL0_H:m
The front-right wheel will be called WHL1_H:m
The rear-left wheel will be called WHL2_H:m
The rear-right wheel will be called WHL3_H:m

THE SHADOW:

The shadow object is very self-explanatory - its the shadow of the car. Its usually made up of 2 faces, sits at the very bottom and most of the work is done in making the texture. I use photoshop to get the job done.

First, open up the Top view blueprint and select the car. Create a new layer and paint the selected area black. Delete the background layer and you'll get something like this:

You may decrease the opacity of the layer if you want a better shadow effect (I set it to 50%). Change the canvas size so that its square and save as .tga format. Remember to save it in the TEXTURE folder.

In ZM, go Create>Surfaces>Flat and create a rectangle-shaped object in the Top view window. Bring up Material Editor, copy the extra <default material> and name it shadow. Load up the shadow texture and set the type to GLOWING (to allow transparent effects).

Name the shadow object as SHADOW_H and texture it. Next up, the Bound.

THE BOUND:

The Bound is a very simple, exterior shell of the car. When the car is put in game, the bound is what will react with the environment. It is the solid part of the car while the body we made earlier is the cosmetic part. Bounds are kept as low-poly as possible (20-30 faces). The Bound should not cover the wheels of the car, just the body. There's no need to texture it since it will be invisible in game. The proper name for the bound object is BOUND.

Here's an example of a bound:

THE LIGHTS:

We already have these objects as part of the body. Separate (detach) each group and name them as shown below.

Actually, we should have textured them before we duplicated the body, but I guess I forgot. No worries, texturing isn't too hard.

You can make the textures. For brake-lights (BLIGHT_L) and tail-lights (TLIGHT_L) paint a 32x32 canvas very bright red. For the reverse-lights (RLIGHT_L) and headlights (HLIGHT_L), paint a similar sized canvas a very light color like white or very light cream/yellow. I'll share my textures below.

You can also look in the ZModeler directory folder for light textures. The white one is called fxglow and the red one is called fxglow_red .

When texturing the light objects, set the type to "glowing". After texturing is done, move the light objects very close the main body object so that they cover the original tail-lights and headlights that are part of the body.

The HEADLIGHT0_H:m and HEADLIGHT1_H:m objects do not need to be textured nor do they need to be any particular shape. In game, these objects are replaced by glow balls at their centers. So move these objects close to the car but keep some distance.

Now we need to make sure every object has their local axes centered, so go to Display>Center Axis and click on every object to accomplish this.

Also make sure to calculate the normals for every object one last time.

FINALLY, select all objects (Select>All in objects level) and move them up along the Y-axis until the shadow just sits on top of the horizontal (center) gray line seen in Right, Front and Back views. Save your work, we are done modeling!

NOTES:
-To put the car in game, you ABSOLUTELY NEED the Body, Bound, Shadow and Wheel objects. The Light objects are all extras and are not needed for the car to work in game.

Thats all for now I think. Next lesson, we put the car in game. WOO!

JUMP TO ANOTHER LESSON:
LESSON 1: SOFTWARE & BLUEPRINTS - PAGE 1
LESSON 2 PART 1: MODELING THE SIDE - PAGE 2
LESSON 2 PART 2: MODELING THE REST OF THE BODY - PAGE 3
LESSON 3: TEXTURING - PAGE 3
LESSON 4 PART 1: FINISHING TOUCHES - PAGE 4
LESSON 4 PART 2: THE OBJECT LIST - PAGE 4
LESSON 5: PACKAGING TO .AR - PAGE 5
LESSON 6: THE EXTRAS - PAGE 6
LESSON 7: MODELING REFINED - PAGE 6
TUNING AND AUDIO FILES EXPLAINED - PAGE 7
HOW TO MAKE ANIMATED TEXTURES - PAGE 8
HOW TO MAKE A COP CAR & SIRENS - PAGE 11

DOWNLOADS:
PDF VERSION (LESSONS 1 - 7 ONLY) + JEEP.Z3D + JEEP.AR - MMARCHIVE - MM2X
LESSON 1 - VIDEO
LESSON 2 - VIDEO

Helping Hand Award

Last edited by Silent1Unknown on 08 Mar 2009 12:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post 06 May 2008 07:39 am
evo
MM2C Guru

I added the latest bit
Post 06 May 2008 03:11 pm
thenthornthing
MM2C Hooligan

I particularly liked the way to make the wheels Very Happy Great stuff!
Post 06 May 2008 03:14 pm
Franch88
Re-Member

Great stuff on this tutorial, great work.
By the way, there aren't the car external mirrors; they're a bit hard to model, but they have to be put. There's their shadow. Wink

PS: to the moderators and to Silent1Unknown. Please, fix the wrong BB code to the third and nineth pictures. They aren't displayed.
Post 06 May 2008 05:35 pm
Bradley_Wint
MM2C Guru

Xbox Live Gamertag:
braddor

Good work on the site evo.

Sorry Silent1Unknown, I was busy with school so I didn't get time to do it...but evo did it now in nice chapters, so that's great. Wink
Post 06 May 2008 06:26 pm
Display posts from previous: Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Page 4 of 12 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: