[ Midtown Madness 2 Central ] [ Midtown Madness 2 Central ]

Midtown Madness 2 Central > The Bodyshop > A Beginner's Guide To Modeling For MM2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic | View next topic

How did you find this tutorial?
Very helpful
58%
 58%  [ 31 ]
Very helpful
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Very helpful
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 53

Author
Message Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Franch88
Re-Member

Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradley_Wint wrote:
Good work on the site evo.

Yeah, the HTML version is very good. But evo, fix the wrong BB code in two pictures of the latest part also there. Wink
Post 06 May 2008 06:49 pm
alexsim2004
MM2C Forums Addict

Latest installment is great Smile
Post 06 May 2008 08:22 pm
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

Thanks All.

Before I release this upcoming installment, I have a problem to solve. For some reason, the colors names in the car selection screen aren't matching up with the paintjobs.

If you pick:
Blue --> the car is green in color
Green --> car is blue
Red --> red

In the INFO file, I put the colors in alphabetical order: Blue|Green|Red
When I exported, I put _green in the [Replace Suffix] box, then _blue in the [...with suffix] box, listed it, then added _red.

What am I doing wrong?
Helping Hand Award
Post 06 May 2008 09:55 pm
Franch88
Re-Member

Silent1Unknown wrote:
In the INFO file, I put the colors in alphabetical order: Blue|Green|Red
When I exported, I put _green in the [Replace Suffix] box, then _blue in the [...with suffix] box, listed it, then added _red.

Very easy. Instead using the Green color (cherokee_green.tga) in ZModeler for the car body, just use the Blue one (cherokee_blue.tga). Wink
In the exporting box, just use this order of suffixes: _blue, _green and _red. In the .info file the order is the same: Blue|Green|Red.
Both the things are separated, and doesn't mean that choosing the Blue color, automatically the _blue suffix is used. The order of the suffixes, and so of the textures, if the same of the colors list in .info file; only in this way they'll match. Wink

PS: fix the wrong BB code to the third and nineth pictures of the latest part.
Post 06 May 2008 10:04 pm
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

Hmmm...I know they have to be in the same order.....when I made my other cars, usually, the color I chose to model with wasn't the first one on the list. All the other colors were exported in the same order as listed in the ........wait a minute..............YES!.......I mean OOPS!.........I just checked my RX-7's info file and the first color there is Orange.....then it continues in alphabetical order. Forgot about that, sorry. Embarassed

I've fixed the codes for the 3rd and 9th pictures. But I'm sure I didn't make that mistake. Its very peculiar that its the pictures of the wheels that didn't show up. Hmmmmm........whatever.

Also for those of you who didn't notice, right next to the small red texture is a white texture which is invisble because of the white background. I thought it would have been a green background. Nuts.

To Bradley, you can put this in HTML if you want. Sorry for late reply. I thought I already said yes. Embarassed

Next installment will be up in a few minutes.
Helping Hand Award
Post 06 May 2008 11:03 pm
Bradley_Wint
MM2C Guru

Xbox Live Gamertag:
braddor

Well evo already did it so doing it again won't make sense....

@evo - can you just put all those HTML files into a compressed zip file so people can view it offline if they download it?
Post 06 May 2008 11:15 pm
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

Bradley_Wint wrote:
Well evo already did it so doing it again won't make sense....

@evo - can you just put all those HTML files into a compressed zip file so people can view it offline if they download it?

No need. I'll be making a better-looking pdf.
Helping Hand Award
Post 07 May 2008 12:03 am
Bradley_Wint
MM2C Guru

Xbox Live Gamertag:
braddor

nice Wink
Post 07 May 2008 12:18 am
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

LESSON 5: PACKAGING

We finished all the necessary modeling. Its time to put the Cherokee in game.

First off, make five new folders and name them AUD, BOUND, GEOMETRY, JPG and TUNE. We already made the TEXTURE folder a while back so there's no need to make it again.

Summary of the Folders:
-AUD: Its where all the engine sounds and any other audio files go.
-BOUND: Leave this folder empty. When we export the car from ZM, a file will automatically be placed in this folder.
-GEOMETRY: Same as BOUND folder, leave it alone.
-JPG: Some screenshots are placed here.
-TEXTURE: All the textures used on the car go here.
-TUNE: Contains all the text files responsible for the tuning/performance of the car.

It might be a bit hard for us to make EVERYTHING by ourselves in all of these folders. In fact, the first game modifiers borrowed materials from the game itself....I think. We just need a sample car to get started.

Go to www.mmarchive.com and download the Mazda RX-7 (VeilSide Fortune version) that was made by me (Silent1Unknown). Actually, here is the link to the car --> http://www.mmarchive.com/file_details.php?file_id=932

Its a Zip file. Double-click it to open up WinRAR and then extract it to desktop or wherever you like. You'll get a folder of the same name.

When you open the folder, you see a text document called "Credits" and a AR file called "Mazda RX-7 Veilside Fortune". Usually, to get the car in game, you just stick this AR file into the MM2 directory. But today, we're going to see whats inside it.

The AR file can be opened with WinRAR. So, right-click the AR file, go to Open With>WinRAR archiver. Extract like before and you get a folder named "Mazda RX-7 Veilside Fortune". Open it and you see six farmiliar folders; AUD, BOUND, GEOMETRY, JPG, TEXTURE and TUNE.

Copy the contents of the AUD and TUNE folders and place them in the AUD and TUNE folders belonging to your Cherokee. You can also look inside of the JPG folder of the RX-7 to see what kinds of pictures you'll be putting in your Cherokee's JPG folder.

OK, now we forget about the RX-7 files and folders focus our attention on the Cherokee files and folders.

THE FOLDERS

AUD
In the Cherokee>AUD folder, there are more sub-folders which eventually lead to some files. Wherever you see "rx7vf" in the names of the files, replace only those five letters with "cherokee". Do this to EVERY file you find in the AUD folder. An example:

If you ever want to put in your own engine sounds, make sure they have the same properties as these audio files here.

BOUND
Leave this folder alone. ZM will put a .bnd file.

GEOMETRY
Leave this folder alone. ZM will put a .pkg file and a couple of .mtx files. Don't worry, you don't need to know what they do or how they work.

JPG
In this folder, you want two image files that are saved as .JPEG (or .JPG or whatever its called) format.

1. The first image has to be on a 640x480 canvas and its usually a photo of the real car (see example in the RX-7>JPG folder). When saving, save it as .JPEG and its general name is <your car's name>_show. In our case, it will be named "cherokee_show".

2. The second image is a 219x69 JPEG image with a general name of <your car's name>_ulck. We will name our image "cherokee_ulck". This small image usually contains info like the maker of the car and maybe car specs.

When you're done, your JPG folder should look something like this:

TEXTURE
We're done with this folder. I would just like to bring your attention to two textures we didn't use, namely, "cherokee_green" and "cherokee_red". Notice the names have the base "<your car's name>_color". You need this format when making multiple paintjobs. So in game, we'll have three colors available for our Cherokee; red, green and blue. I don't know what the limit is on paintjobs. I don't go beyond eight, although I've seen people offering eleven or more.

And remember, these images are either .bmp or .tga and will have dimensions like ...32, 64, 128, 256, 512, ...

TUNE
We copied the contents of this folder from the RX-7. There are 3 sub-folders here; "Banger", "Camera" and "Vehicle".

1. Banger: Contains .dgbangeradata files. There should be one for every .mtx file in the GEOMETRY folder. Start replacing the "rx7vf" on all these file names with "cherokee".

You can delete the _BREAK and _FNDR files here since we didn't make any breakable or fender objects for our car. But I'll discuss them later on, so you'll know where to look for these next time. Also, the .dgbanderdata files are editable with word processing programs like NotePad, WordPad, Microsoft Word...etc. I recommend using NotePad....thats if you ever need to edit these...which is like never....except maybe with _BREAK files.

2. Camera: This folder also has a few files compatible with NotePad. These files contain information that deals with how you view you car in game. Too far, too close, too angled?....edit these files. Or you can get these from other cars that you liked. Or you can download MM2 Ultimate Tweaker do some.....tweaking of the cameras.

Also replace the names here to "cherokee.whatever"

3. Vehicle: More text editable files. Change the numbers around to fine tune your car the way you like. There are tutorials out there explaining what each heading means. I may add it to this megatutorial.

Oh yes...I forgot....replace the names "rx7vf" here to "cherokee" as well.

Back to the main TUNE folder, there are some files in addition to the folders mentioned above. Replace the "rx7vf" names with "cherokee as usual.

Perhaps the most important file here is the INFO file. Open it up with NotePad and make the following changes:

The Basename has to be a part of the filename of every file in all six folders. In our case, we chose "cherokee".
For the Description, It will be name/title of the car as you see it in car selection screen in game.
Colors: The titles of each paintjob. Doesn't have to be boring as red, blue, yellow....you could put Black Mica, Majestic Blue or whatever, doesn't matter the name. What matters is the order. So REMEMBER THE ORDER YOU PUT IT IN!!!
Horsepower, Top Speed, Durability and Mass: These don’t have any effect on the car. In the car selection screen in game, these are the red bars that indicate how much your car has of each.
UIDist: Enter a number between 1-10. Its the distance or how far the car appears in the car selection screen.

Replace the other "rx7vf" files here (TUNE folder) with the basename we chose, "cherokee".

What about the BOUND and GEOMTRY folders?

Open up your project in ZM. Make sure all the necessary objects are there, all normals calculated, all axes centered and all objects above the center gray line.

Now, go to File>Export and a box will appear. Get into the GEOMETRY folder, name the file "cherokee" and save as .pkg.

Hit Save and another box will appear. If we didn't have multiple paintjobs, we'd just click Export next. But we do have multiple paintjobs, three of them, so check the Multiple Colors (paintjobs) checkbox.

Then, click the Remove button until the list on the far right is cleared. The one texture that we used in modeling the car is the "cherokee_green" texture. So, where it says [Replace suffix:], type in that box "_green".

We have two colors remaining. Recall the order in which we put the color names in the INFO file (Green|Blue|Red). Green is already done. In the [...with suffix:] box, type in _blue and click Add to List. Then type in "_red" in the same box and click Add to List again.

Finally, click Export. You may exit ZM.

Now go to where the six folders are. Make sure all the "rx7vf" names have been replaced by "cherokee". Check that for every .mtx file in the GEOMETRY folder, there's a corresponding .dgbangerdata file in the TUNE>Banger folder. Delete or move the extra .dgbangerdata files (_BREAK and _FNDR files) someplace else. If you need extra .dgbangerdata files, copy and paste. When you're sure everything is perfect, select or highlight all six folders, right-click and go to Add to archive...

A box will appear. The FIRST thing is to change the archive format to ZIP. SECOND, change the name (before the .zip part) to whatever you want. THIRD, change the .zip to .ar. Finally, click OK and you will get YOUR VERY OWN AR FILE!!!

Clarification: Final name before pressing OK, should read "03 Grand Cherokee.ar"

You know the rest, stick this ar file in the MM2 directory and have fun playing with your car.

Here's a screenshot.

As you can see, sometimes textures can mess up. I will fix this wheel texture problem by going into the TEXTURE folder and making a duplicate of the "wheel" texture. Then in ZM, open up Material Editor and replace the original "wheel" texture for the wheel material with the new duplicate. The problem fixed:

SLAMMIN', HUH?!

NOTES:
-If you don't like the tuning, you can always change it in the TUNE>Vehicle folder or download MM2 Ultimate Tweaker to make things easier.
-If the car doesn't appear to be the right size, you can go back to the model in ZM, select all the objects and scale to whatever size is right. Make sure to put them back above the gray line.
-For above mentioned edits to take effect, you'll have to make the .ar file again.

Thats all for now I think. Next lesson, I'll talk about some extras and maybe give some small tips.

JUMP TO ANOTHER LESSON:
LESSON 1: SOFTWARE & BLUEPRINTS - PAGE 1
LESSON 2 PART 1: MODELING THE SIDE - PAGE 2
LESSON 2 PART 2: MODELING THE REST OF THE BODY - PAGE 3
LESSON 3: TEXTURING - PAGE 3
LESSON 4 PART 1: FINISHING TOUCHES - PAGE 4
LESSON 4 PART 2: THE OBJECT LIST - PAGE 4
LESSON 5: PACKAGING TO .AR - PAGE 5
LESSON 6: THE EXTRAS - PAGE 6
LESSON 7: MODELING REFINED - PAGE 6
TUNING AND AUDIO FILES EXPLAINED - PAGE 7
HOW TO MAKE ANIMATED TEXTURES - PAGE 8
HOW TO MAKE A COP CAR & SIRENS - PAGE 11

DOWNLOADS:
PDF VERSION (LESSONS 1 - 7 ONLY) + JEEP.Z3D + JEEP.AR - MMARCHIVE - MM2X
LESSON 1 - VIDEO
LESSON 2 - VIDEO

Helping Hand Award

Last edited by Silent1Unknown on 08 Mar 2009 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post 07 May 2008 12:31 am
Jason
ಠ__ಠ

Ah, I see you went the whole nine yards with this tutorial. Nice work mate Now there is no excuse not to model a car. Wink
Post 07 May 2008 12:53 am
Maxoff
MM2C Addict

The tutorial looks great, I have just one small comment that may save hours of bug finding: use lowercase letters in names (materials in ZM, files and folders) because in some cases MM2 and ZM are case sensitive.
Post 07 May 2008 09:21 am
busboy99
MM2C Hooligan

Maybe my buses will go in-game correctly, now? LOL, I hope so, cuz if they don't.... Twisted Evil lol, great tutorial!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS FROM ALL AT MM2, AND MM2C
A boy was singing in a school hall when suddenly the immensity of the infinite universe hit him, and his eyes blasted out of their sockets and his lips burst and he fell to the ground and wept, his conciousness leaking out of his skull in gas form (which frightened the younger children).
- Chriddof
Also, I'm banned.
Post 07 May 2008 02:59 pm
evo
MM2C Guru

As usual the web page version has been fixed (the BBcode bit) and I've added lesson 5.
Just a little correction the files are .htm not .html but I've still put them as a zip.
Links
Web page version
Zipped offline version
NOTE: If I have messed up any of the web page version, notify me here and now and I can correct it ASAP. Ta.
Post 07 May 2008 03:14 pm
alexsim2004
MM2C Forums Addict

Great as always Smile
Post 07 May 2008 06:59 pm
Franch88
Re-Member

Congrats. Very great tutorial. Smile
Post 07 May 2008 08:02 pm
Display posts from previous: Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Page 5 of 12 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: