[ Midtown Madness 2 Central ] [ Midtown Madness 2 Central ]

Midtown Madness 2 Central > News & Announcements > MM2C Celebrates its 10th Birthday
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic | View next topic
Author
Message Post new topicReply to topic
Rippance
Hates Custom Titles
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
Rippance
Post subject: MM2C Celebrates its 10th Birthday Reply with quote

Somewhere last week or perhaps in the coming weeks MM2C will celebrate its 10th birthday. Since the summer of August we've been around -- starting at Jason Trusty's BTWRacing Network and later independently.

It's been a wild ride and even though the last five years have been quiet, I am still proud of the fact that this community is still around. In its life it has created life long friendships and helped people discover who they are and what they want to do.

For me personally it has played a crucial role in defining my career and what I want to be doing for the next 10 years. I know others share similar experiences.

So, I'd like to ask you a couple of things to go down the nostalgia road with me:

- How long have you been a part of this community? How old were you? How did you find the game and MM2C?

- What are your fondest memories?

- How did participating here affect your life?

I'll go first in a reply right after this. Have fun Smile

w: http://www.crumbl.com
c: #mm2c @ irc.gamesurge.net
Post 16 Jun 2010 04:29 pm
thenthornthing
MM2C Hooligan

Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday MM2C! Very Happy

How long have you been a part of this community? How old were you? How did you find the game and MM2C?
Umm, January 2007 - so three and a bit years. I would have been 14 when joining. Now, 17. I discovered MM2C when (unsurprisingly) looking for bus downloads.

What are your fondest memories?
The (mostly) humorous and welcoming community here!

How did participating here affect your life?
I got more involved in MM2 and creating things.
Post 16 Jun 2010 04:38 pm
random.monster1981
Amateur Modeller ftw!

Post subject: Re: MM2C Celebrates its 10th Birthday Reply with quote

Rippance wrote:
I'd like to ask you a couple of things to go down the nostalgia road with me:

Hmm well I knew MM2 was hitting 10 years old and to think a community has been around 10 years is VERY good.

How long have you been a part of this community? How old were you? How did you find the game and MM2C?
roughly 2 years ago I joined mm2c, I was 27 when I joined, The game was brilliant for its age and still doesn't dissapoint, same can be said for central despite the silly posts now and then ( even though I'm guilty of that sometimes Laughing )
It's good to be part of a board that has members and owners with a sense of humour *lolz at the changing of topic names to post your bus project etc*

hmm.. the funny topics, the help I've recieved in relation to my projects, and good all round cruising and making new friends has to be the best side to both mm2 and mm2c.

I've learned how to model decently enough ( still a long way off being a man1333 clone ) but I'll get there, I've read hundreds of topics in my time and every now and then I learn just that little bit more.

Heres to the Ten years of mm2c

And heres to another 10 years hopefully Smile

Last edited by random.monster1981 on 17 Jun 2010 03:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post 16 Jun 2010 04:40 pm
Rippance
Hates Custom Titles
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
Rippance

I very much remember seeing the first screenshots of MM1 in probably 1999. If I dig hard I might even find the magazine it was in. The idea of free roam is what dragged me into the game.

I started at Music_Instructor's The MFC but was mostly a lurker. Back then the community wasn't as open and the bulletin boards were horrible to use. It didn't take long before I started lurking at Zolk's MMZ.

While I lurked there, I was quite active on the Zone. It's where I met most of the old ones in the first place. People like COP_911, 5tephen, Patrick Wesseli (sp?), and probably a lot more I forgot the names of or are still around.

MM2C came about because I love creating things. My first site cutely made in Frontpage 4 covered both MM1 and Rally Championship 2000. In early 2000 I was arrogant enough to apply for a spot in Jason Trusty's BTWRacing Network. My site was split into two: one for MM called Midtown Madness Central and one for RC2000 called Rally Resource (maintained by The Flying Dutchman).

Somewhere during development Jason and I realized that there was an opportunity to gain market share by focusing on MM2 only. This way we could try to get a good spot on Microsoft's site and search engines and get the newly interested MM2 visitors, instead of trying to convince MM1 people to switch communities.

The gamble turned out to be quite succesfulL. At some point MM2C would serve just over 100.000 visits a month, which was far more than the existing The MFC and MMZ.

Somewhere during 2001 the modding community really started to get going. MM2C launched its first partner site: Necron's The Bodyshop. Its forum proved to be the resource for MM2 modding keeping a lot of us busy for a couple of years.

Not much later work started on our second partner site, one of which I forgot the name. It must be something like Rev Design -- a group of car designers with members such as Cobra (sp?), Burner and Mr_Sparkle, if I remember correctly. It never launched or died a quick death.

At some point (2003?) MM3 was announced for Xbox. We managed to get an early preview, which spiked traffic big time. For years rumours of the game being developed lived on, but it never happend. The game was nearing its end for many of us, if not just because we were all growing up as well.

I started the site when I was 15. I am 25 now. A lot has happend, but MM2C launched a career in web design and development. Good times Smile

It's been great, even though I am rarely around these days, but I will do my absolute best to leep this community online as long as I can.

w: http://www.crumbl.com
c: #mm2c @ irc.gamesurge.net
Post 16 Jun 2010 04:55 pm
Luigi!?!
Owns MM2-UK with YR-6200 :D

Happy 10th MM2C! Dayum this sites been around since I was 5? :O

Enjoyed it here really, even though I got off to a bad start but hey!

A year and a bit, I was 14, found the game back at the beginning of 2008, the culprit being youtube! and MM2C I found for the same reason Nathan did. Smile

Partially the fact that people pushed sense into me here. I was a little attitude probem and thought the world revolved around me, but I don't see it like that anymore obviously. It's actually probably helped me in life that, so thanks I suppose guys. Smile

Read the above. Now read this:
I fancy a bit of gamedesigning now, thinking about taking it up in my career. But I don't know really, as Science is a rather much-loved subject of mine... But we'll see where life takes me. Smile

Thanks for the fun guys haha! Wink
Post 16 Jun 2010 05:00 pm
ediblechickenwing
MM2C Addict

Not particularly long, around 10 months or so. I had just turned 16, and I'm about to turn 17 next month. A number of people had said a good game for buses (no surprise there) was MM2, so I thought I'd take a look at it. I came across MM2C when I was looking for MM2 communities basically. I was already a part of another game community beforehand, and I like getting involved and getting to know others who play the game and are like me rather than taking a backseat and being dormant.

It's got to be the crazy conversations and arguments that go on here... many find it annoying and childish, but what I read here regularly leaves me in stitches.

It's made me a bit more open about things I like, now that I've met others and participate in the forum with others sharing the same interests as I do.
Post 16 Jun 2010 05:11 pm
random.monster1981
Amateur Modeller ftw!

Rippance wrote:

It's been great, even though I am rarely around these days, but I will do my absolute best to leep this community online as long as I can.

well matey, as long as all of us are here producing some amazing work I'm sure the future of mm2c is pretty much in the bag, I hope to remain here for many more years to come as my modelling grows and matures.
Post 16 Jun 2010 05:21 pm
EA711
Random Polygon

Happy tenth birthday mm2c!

Cake

- I have been about on here for just under a year, I was 15 when I joined and I am 16 now. I had bus driver before since I wanted a bus driving game but it was rubbish and then by chance: I found a video of a bus in MM2 on youtube. I then found mm2c because I kept cropping up on searches for stuff, like tutorials and downloads.

- Memories would be some of the funny stuff I have read, the time when bus was ****, oh and remeber the quoting Twisted Evil

- This place generally rekindled my interests, not only in buses. I also learned how to mod MM2. I have not learned much in the way of 3D modelling give it another 10 years Razz , but I have messed about with mm2 in other ways.
Post 16 Jun 2010 05:38 pm
evo
MM2C Guru

- How long have you been a part of this community? How old were you? How did you find the game and MM2C?
I have been a part of the wonderful community that is MM2C for a good 4 years now, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I would have been *thinks* 11 when I joined on here, and I am 14 now (15 in November). I found the game thanks to my dad in July 2001 when we bought our first computer, MM2 came with a box of other pretty much useless things. MM2 has always been the best thing that we bought then, more valuable to me than the computer I played it on. I only found out about on line communities
relating to my favourite games by accident, when I pasted the wrong thing into google. I remember seeing buses in MM2 that I recognised. Holy sh!t where the exact words xD
- What are your fondest memories?
My memories of this forum and MM2 as a whole are great, I have become a busaholic because of this game primarily, following a natural love of the machines since my family doesn't own a car, leading to the bus to be the only source of transport freely available.
- How did participating here affect your life?
As I mentioned, MM2 and MM2C have increased my enthusiasm towards buses and I have discovered a lot of my online friends in this way, and this has spread my interests further, and of course, all the failed attempts of making things MM2 related are finally seeming to work a decent way, since I am now top of the class at IT and similar, and of course, this can lead to careers. MM2C has also helped me to learn about things I wouldn't normally hear about, such as things technology related, and things such as 3D modelling, which I wouldn't have understood as much as I do now without the hands on practical approach we take here, where you try your ideas and hope for the best!
Post 16 Jun 2010 05:50 pm
_Tim_
Kiwilicious
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
TimNZ

Rippance, you're a mad man. Well done. Smile

It all started for me in May of '99 when I got Midtown Madness as a birthday present from some family friends.

Searching for screenshots or something, I stumbled across the MFC where I discovered the forum. At first I had no idea what a forum was; People, talking to each other on the internet? Blasphemy! It must be for grown ups.

Except one day I signed up (tim_shady1, yo) and followed the MM1 community with great interest.

Once the MFC fell, I went to Zolknetwork (I was a 1 site at a time kinda guy), when ZN fell, I didn't go anywhere for a while with #mm2c keeping me well entertained.

MM2C for some reason came around again resulting in people having to sign up again .. So I did too, being amongst the first handfull of people to do so.

I signed up again as my current name to reflect my IRC username and had my other account removed. Some time passed, then I became an admin.

Rippance I blame/thank you for the memories this place has given me, the largest of which would be the opportunity to travel the world and meet a lot of the good dudes (and some gals) of this community. I've created some amazing and strong friendships which I intend to continue for the rest of my lifetime.

This coming Sunday, I'm traveling again to meet some more of us (holla topbob!).

In 2003 I became incredibly ill ending up in hospital for a couple of weeks, this resulted in ongoing illnesses and severe depression for the next few years to come. This community (along with IRC) kept me going, kept me smiling and I pulled through it all.

Needless to say, this community has affected my life greatly, so thanks everyone, and thank you Rippance for giving me something to do at work.

Tim
Post 16 Jun 2010 07:46 pm
Silent1Unknown
a.k.a. Silent

Happy 10th Birthday to MM2C.

Live long and prosper. Razz
Helping Hand Award

Last edited by Silent1Unknown on 18 Jun 2010 04:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post 16 Jun 2010 08:11 pm
Jason
ಠ__ಠ

I still have alot of the old timers lurking around on msn, Beaverman, Stereo, Cyberstorm, Charger, Bonfire.

Got into MM2 when I was 13, now im 23. How is this site still around?Chinese magic? We may never know...
Post 17 Jun 2010 12:56 am
neoplan60
Dumb name. ^^

Wow... just WOW. 10 years old... haha. Gratz rippance, for keeping this forum alive. Smile

Well I found MM2C by accident, I was searching for buses (>.<) for MM2 and came across this forum... I was 8 at the time (now you know why I was so noob back then :/) and after a couple of months wandering around the forums as a guest, I decided to join. Razz And I've been a part of MM2c since mid-2006 (read my join date, can't remember what date I joined right now).

All of it really. I see the bad parts as life lessons to be honest. And the dumb arguments that are almost always going on here always crack me up. Smile

Immensely. This forum has been a big life lesson for me. MM2C was my first contact with people on the internet, and it's taught me a lot about how different communication on the internet is compared to real life. Without what I've learnt here on MM2C, my LFS team probably wouldn't be around right now. Wait, as someone I met on a group I discovered on this forum told me about LFS, my team WOULDN'T be around now. I can't thank you guys enough. Smile

I hope this forum lasts for much longer. Happy birthday and long live MM2C! Thumbs Up

EDIT: OMFG, I joined june 17th 2006, and it's june 17th today... o_0 Been here for 4 years now, haha.

Leader of RBD drift team.
Post 17 Jun 2010 03:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ITN_Tuning
a.k.a. Jaguara

Happy birthday to MM2C ! Hope there will be more. Cheers all !
Post 18 Jun 2010 08:46 am
busboy99
MM2C Hooligan

Joined in February 2006, so just over 4 years, and joined when I just turned 12, now i'm 16. The game was brill then and still is. Same goes for MM2C I believe.

Too many, mad, we all seem to have another life on the internets... like real life doesn't exist anymore..

Not much really. Nice to meet new, nice, people. Smile
A boy was singing in a school hall when suddenly the immensity of the infinite universe hit him, and his eyes blasted out of their sockets and his lips burst and he fell to the ground and wept, his conciousness leaking out of his skull in gas form (which frightened the younger children).
- Chriddof
Also, I'm banned.
Post 18 Jun 2010 06:01 pm

Page 1 of 3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: