Local references:
- Program
- How to create simple city
- How to add your own object to city
- How to add grass effect
- Objects description
- Description of configuration files

-----------------------------------------------------

This text is part of MM2CT manual but I think that it should be also available here.

City Overview

Creating city for MM2 is quite complicated. You have to create many files and objects and we don't know full specification of all MM2 files. Fortunately you don't have to know everything about that files, but you should have basic knowledge about them.

Structure

Like everything in MM2, additional city is a AR archive which is a normal ZIP file with changed extension. That file contains few directories:
    _texture - contains textures. It's not used by MM2. MM2CT renames and copies textures form this location to texture directory
    bound - contains files used by collision system. They are generated by MM2CT
    city - contains basic information about city. There can be found:
      city_base_name.aimap - information about cars used in traffic
      city_base_name.bai - information about traffic roads, how they should drive. This file is generated by MM2CT
      city_base_name.inst - information about unbreakable objects in game. This file is generated by MM2CT
      city_base_name.psdl - information about terrain (ground, roads, intersections, etc). This file is generated by MM2CT
      city_base_name.sky - information about sky (texture name, etc). Can be generated by MM2CT (create city structure function)
      city_base_name_bai.txt - information for bai generator, this file isn't used by game. This file is generated by MM2CT
      city_base_name_log.txt - log created by bai generator, this file isn't used by game. This file is generated by MM2CT

city/city_base_name - constains detailed information about city, for example:
      decals.pathset - information about decals positions. Decals can be used to create e.g. shadows. This file is generated by MM2CT
      props.pathset - information about breakable objects in the city (like sigs, barries, etc) positions. This file is generated by MM2CT

geometry - contains geometry files of objects in city. These files are generated by MM2CT
    jpg - contains textures and city_base_name_roam.jpg which is shown during city loading.
    city_base_name_roam.jpg can be generated by MM2CT (create city structure function)

texture - contains textures which you used for city and additional objects
    tune - contains city_base_name.cinfo (txt file) which provide information about city, the more important filed are:
      LocalizedName - city name shown in menu, for example: Crazy Neighbourhood
      MapName = city_base_name, for example: t2
      RaceDir - directory with city, should be equal to MapName: t2
    city_base_name.cinfo can be generated by MM2CT (create city structure function)

tune/banger - contains files used by collision system for breakable objects. They are generated by MM2CT by sometime you have to edit them manualy

Most of the files are created by MM2 CityTool. You have to only create textures in _texture directory ... and of course .3ds with city.

That's all you should know about cities structure in MM2. If you want to have city it game, just pack all directories to zip archive and then rename it.

Objects

In city, there are few types of objecs (I describe only objects supported by MM2CT):

grounds - there are main objects, used as base position for unbreakable objects (inst). Every inst objects has to be placed on some grounds objects
    roads (with and without sidewalks)- there are few types of roads, with sidewalks and without sidewalks. Roads are used by traffic cars (In this version MM2CT generates traffic only for roads with sidewalks, for other roads traffic isn't generated)
    intersections - connect roads, all road should have at the ends intersections
    inst objects - unbreakable objects, must be place on some ground objects. You can build whole city using this objects (you have to only make one big rectangle which will be used as ground objects), but that kind of city won't have traffic. To have traffic you have to combain inst objects and roads, which is quite easy.
    props objects - breakable objects, there should be small. You can create sings, trees, warrning barriers, etc.
    decals - flat rectangles, they can be used e.g to simulate shadows of trees and similar objects
    polices - simple boxs, which set cop car position

With that objects, you can create quite big and complex city. In the future I'm going to add more objects (e.g. more types of roads).

City Creating

Objects naming

Introduction

.3ds allows only for short names, so we have to use special names. Every object name ends with _. This is a real end of the name. When you call your object PH1_, PH1_22, PH1_33, PH1_345, for program the name isPH1 (MM2CT removes everything which is placed after _). Because .3ds needs also uniqe names, 3DStudio and ZModeler during export add numer to objects. So, if you have two objects ROADS_ they will be exported as ROADS_, ROADS_1 (but MM2CT will cut the name, so don't worry about it).

INST objects

Inst objects are unbreakable. You can make as many objects as you want. Every object needs at least high body and bound. You can also add additional bodies (medium, low, verlow). The name template is:

Pxn_

where:
    P - stands for PKG
    x - body type (H - high, M - medium, L - low, V - very low, B - bound)
    n - object name

examples:
    PH1 - body H of object no. 1
    PM1 - body M of object no. 1
    PB2 - bound of object no. 2, uses for colissions

As I wrote, you must have at least PHn_ and PBn_. If you want to use the same objects, but in few different positions (for example few houses), you don't have to create new objects, you can use the first one. There is special object type which is a link/alias for other object. If you want to duplicate objects, just copy PHn_ or PBn_ (you can select type during import) and rename it to PAn_. You can also rotate created alias (the angle will be calculate by MM2CT). What alias give you? There is only one PKG file for all that objects, so you save disk space.

Pxn_

where:
    P - stands for PKG
    x - object type (H - high, M - medium, L - low, V - very low, B - bound, A - for alias)
    n - object name

examples:
    PH1 - body H of object no. 1
    PM1 - body M of object no. 1
    PB2 - bound of object no. 2, uses for colissions
    PA2 - alias of object no. 2, this is the copy of PH2_ or PB2_

Very often we use trees in city, but if you just copy them, they will look unnatural. You should rotate evey tree to random angle. MM2CT makes that process easier. You can create special objects, Txn_ which represented tree. Only diffrent between Txn_ and Pxn_ is that Txn_ are rotated radomly import. Also you don't have to copy BHn_ to create alias, you just need to copy TBn_, because only position is important, rotate angle is ignored.

Txn_

where:
    T - stands for tree
    x - object type (H - high, M - medium, L - low, V - very low, B - bound, A - for alias)
    n - object name

examples:
    TH1 - body H of object no. 1
    TM1 - body M of object no. 1
    TB2 - bound of object no. 2, uses for colissions
    TA2 - alias of object no. 2, this is the copy of TB2_

PROPS objects

They are breakable objects. You can make as many objects as you want. Every object needs at least high body and bound. You can also add additional bodies (medium, low, verlow). The rules are the same as for INST objects. The name template is:

Bxn_

where:
    B - stands for breakable objects
    n - object name

examples:
    BH1 - body H of object no. 1
    BM1 - body M of object no. 1
    BB2 - bound of object no. 2, uses for colissions
    BA2 - alias of object no. 2, this is the copy of BH2_ or BB2_

Rxn_

where:
    R - stands for tRee
    n - object name

examples:
    RH1 - body H of object no. 1
    RM1 - body M of object no. 1
    RB2 - bound of object no. 2, uses for colissions
    RA2 - alias of object no. 2, this is the copy of RB2_

PSDL Objects

This type includes objects like roads, intersections and ground. They are saved in PSDL file and are based for traffic generator. There are just few types of objects:

ROADS_ - road with sidewalks, every road should ends with intersections</li>
    ROAD_ - road without sidewalks, traffic isn't generate for this type of roads</li>
    GROUND_ - terrain, mountains, etc</li>
    GTm_ - the same as GROUND_, but MM2CT will add trees to this objects ("forest generator")</li>
    ISn_,SWn_,CWn_ - intersecion is made from few objects which must be connected. They are:
      ISn_ - surface of intersection's center</li>
      SWn_ - sidewalk</li>
      CWn_ - crosswalk</li>

n - intersection index
    m - tree index

DECALS Objects

They are flat rectangles (4 points) with assigned texture. Decal can be use to add shadow to trees and other objects.The name template is:

DECAL_

POLICES Objects

They are simple boxes, not need textures. They set position of cop cars. MM2 won't use cops without BAI file, so in your city there must be at least 3 roads and 2 intersections.

COPn_

where:
    n - cop car number. Car name is binded to number in MM2CT during import

PSDL Objects in 3DS

All objects are automaticly textured by MM2. You have to only assign texture do them, you don't need (and you shouldn't) set UV mapping parameters for that objects.

Ground

Ground it's a normal object. It uses one texture which is automaticly repeated.

It must have ONE continuous circuit/perimeter.

If you have problems with circuit/perimeter, you should divide object into few parts

If you want to make forest quickly, you should rename GROUND_ to GTn_, where n is inst object index (THn_). MM2CT will add trees using THn_ as template.

During import you type necessary parameters like offset and maximum area of a triangle

and after that, your city recieves trees. Offset is a distance between center of triangle and tree pivot.

Trees are added to each face. If area of face is too big, face is divided in smaller triangles.

Road without sidewalks

It uses one texture, which is maped per face. Roads are build from pairs of points. Angle between AB/BC and BC/CD must be about 90 degree

Road with sidewalks

It uses three texture, first is the road, second is the sidewalk and third is for distance view. You have to only assign first texture and the others are used automaticly (they must be after first texture in the texture list).

TextureList:
    RoadTexture
    SideWalkTexture
    LowTexture

Roads with sidewalks are build from 4 points in row. If we have 4 points, 1-2 and 3-4 define sidewalks and 2-3 defines road.

Requirements:
    1. Angle between AB/BC and DE/EF must be about 90 degree
    2. Distance AB > BC and EF > DE
    3. Red points must be lower then blue points. Usualy the distance is equal to 0.15.
    4. Count of red points must be equal to count of blue points

Intersection

Itersection is made from three types of objects. IS - main surface, SW - sidewalk, CW - crosswalk. You can connect as many roads as you want to intersection, there is no limit in program, but it wasn't tested for more than 4 roads.

It uses three texture, first is the main surface, second is the sidewalk and third is for crosswalk. You have to only assign first texture and the others are used automaticly (they must be after first texture in the texture list).

TextureList:
    MainSurfaceTexture
    SideWalkTexture
    CrossWalkTexture

Requirements:
    1. Blue points must be lower then red points. Usualy the distance is equal to 0.15.
    2. Count of red points must be equal to count of blue points
    3. Intersection can have only one IS object (ISn_)
    4. Count of CWn_ (crosswalks) must be equal to count of roads connected to the intersection
    5. Count of SWn_ (sidewalks) must be equal to count of roads connected to the intersection

Example

This example shows one roads and two intersections.

Last edited by Maxoff on 10 Jun 2007 07:48 pm; edited 10 times in total
Post 14 Jan 2006 02:59 pm
busboy99
MM2C Hooligan

Post subject: Reply with quote

kool
Post 22 Feb 2006 04:59 pm
Maxoff
MM2C Addict

Sometimes your write that you received perimeter error. Here is something that may help you to avoid this problem.

Truths about roads

The ROADS_ has two sidewalks and area for cars, so (numbers are vertexes, letters are faces):

1. when you are using 8 vertexes it must have 6 faces
Code:
1-----2-----3-----4
|A   /|C   /|E   /|
|  /  |  /  |  /  |
|/ B  |/D   |/ F  |
4-----6-----7-----8

2. when you are using 12 vertexes it must have 12 faces
Code:
1-----2-----3-----4
|A   /|C   /|E   /|
|  /  |  /  |  /  |
|/ B  |/D   |/ F  |
4-----6-----7-----8
|G   /|I   /|K   /|
|  /  |  /  |  /  |
|/ H  |/J   |/ L  |
9----10----11----12

3. when you are using 16 vertexes it must have 18 faces
Code:
1-----2-----3-----4
|A   /|C   /|E   /|
|  /  |  /  |  /  |
|/ B  |/D   |/ F  |
4-----6-----7-----8
|G   /|I   /|K   /|
|  /  |  /  |  /  |
|/ H  |/J   |/ L  |
9----10----11----12
|M   /|O   /|Q   /|
|  /  |  /  |  /  |
|/ N  |/P   |/ R  |
13---14----15----16

So the pattern is:
Fn = (Vn / 4 - 1) * 6

where:
Fn - faces count
Vn - vertexes count
(Vn / 4 - 1) - number of segments (each segment has 6 faces)

Is it clear?

If your ROADS_ doesn't match it, there is something wrong with your object (or with my calculations Wink)
Post 27 Dec 2007 06:08 pm
bamboosticks
Waterboy

Hi, I'm new, and I find the tutorial too difficult

Could you possibly make an easier one? I only just managed to import the TGA files into whatever - have no experience with 3D and as of now am downloading 3D S Max thingy.

I also want to know how to make custom races.

thank you.
Post 18 Apr 2008 08:05 pm
thenthornthing
MM2C Hooligan

Firstly make sure that you have read all of the posts.
It is as easy as it gets, makign a city is not easy - well it is once you get used to it, hence the lack of map makers for MM2.

Also, use Zmodeller - much easier
Post 18 Apr 2008 08:30 pm
HummersRock
...is still seeing colours.

bamboosticks wrote:
Hi, I'm new, and I find the tutorial too difficult

Could you possibly make an easier one? I only just managed to import the TGA files into whatever - have no experience with 3D and as of now am downloading 3D S Max thingy. thank you.

You find it too hard? Confused This just tells you what you are supposed to name certain objects, I do not see that as hard.
Post 20 Apr 2008 08:53 pm
anasbinqamar
MM2C Regular

hey!i know the easier one !!! just go to link www.mm2tracks.com then go to tutorails and download the first one !!!!man its too easy
in that he maked only small city but you can make it big . Very Happy Very Happy thankyou Smile
Post 22 Dec 2008 07:00 pm
anasbinqamar
MM2C Regular

i have a tutorail
first step:- download zmodeler 1.07b available at the search of google ok.
2nd step:-download mm2 city toolkit available at www.mm2x.com
3rd step:-download textures of road and grass if you see it is hard then download a simple picture of grass and road then open adobe photoshop open grass file then go to file>saveas
then save as targa or tga file as a copy .Then but 28 or 32 bit.
open mm2 city toolkit go to tools>creat directory structure
Post 22 Dec 2008 07:08 pm
b12man
Nirvanophile

Xbox Live Gamertag:
ForeignBrian 12

...are you a joke? Neutral
1st: There is no such thing as a tutorail
2nd: What you wrote isn't a tutorial, tutorail, or anything else... That is saying what programs you need, not making a city Rolling Eyes

Tutorials || Make Your Own Traffic | Change Traffic Tuning
Projects || 93 Mustang GT | 85 Chevy Suburban [WIP]
Post 22 Dec 2008 09:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ANA1234
Waterboy

b12man wrote:
...are you a joke? Neutral
1st: There is no such thing as a tutorail
2nd: What you wrote isn't a tutorial, tutorail, or anything else... That is saying what programs you need, not making a city Rolling Eyes
I agree. You seem to be something of a 7-year old anas. I ask Qs cuz i am lazy. the correct way is tutorial, spelt tu-tour-ree-all. Max, if you can, show an image of the best track you made, if you did.
Post 29 Mar 2009 07:33 pm
HummersRock

ANA1234 wrote:
Max, if you can, show an image of the best track you made, if you did.

Plenty of eye candy here.
Post 29 Mar 2009 07:39 pm
ANA1234
Waterboy

HummersRock wrote:
ANA1234 wrote:
Max, if you can, show an image of the best track you made, if you did.

Plenty of eye candy here.

Neutral Does not work.
Post 29 Mar 2009 08:19 pm
HummersRock

Hmm...someone needs to let Maxoff know.
Post 29 Mar 2009 08:22 pm
b12man
Nirvanophile

Xbox Live Gamertag:
ForeignBrian 12

Check here.

Tutorials || Make Your Own Traffic | Change Traffic Tuning
Projects || 93 Mustang GT | 85 Chevy Suburban [WIP]
Post 29 Mar 2009 08:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Midas
The PSDL Doctor

Do sidewalks have a maximum faces count of 8?
Post 01 Mar 2010 08:44 pm

Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: