[ Midtown Madness 2 Central ] [ Midtown Madness 2 Central ]

Midtown Madness 2 Central > Site Feedback > Arguing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic | View next topic

Do you think people that continusly start arguments should be banned?
Yes
59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author
Message Post new topicReply to topic
gosouthcoast
MM2C Addict

Post subject: Arguing Reply with quote

Arguing is becoming silly now and I feel that the moderators & Rippance should step in.
Post 30 Apr 2008 09:10 pm
thenthornthing
MM2C Hooligan

Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it will never be stuck too.
I've PMed the mods on several occasions and get a reply along the lengths of "it's stopped now". - because they reply hours after the incident.
If everyone who has a part in arguments was banned then 90% of the members here would be banned.
Post 01 May 2008 06:15 am
_Tim_
Kiwilicious
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
TimNZ

Due to unforeseen circumstances, staff can't be on here 24/7.

Arguing on a forum is as common as the stars and the moon - Always there.

Banning is a rather harsh way to clean the 'problem'. Warning, deleting/closing thread are better alternatives which we do - Banning is for serious and repeat offenders.

But yes, after a couple of hours people do usually cool off and the whole event subsides.

We're always watching, and welcome hints and tips on trouble threads and trouble makers (well, I do).

I also accept bribes.

Big brother is watching.
Post 01 May 2008 06:31 am
Jason
ಠ__ಠ

What he said. Wink
Post 01 May 2008 06:43 am
Rippance
Hates Custom Titles
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
Rippance

I'd use the argument "we're all adults" but I feel that doesn't really apply here.

I ask you: what do you normally do when you see two people arguing in a way that looks like might get out of hand soon?

w: http://www.crumbl.com
c: #mm2c @ irc.gamesurge.net
Post 01 May 2008 07:48 am
wannagoodcar
is no bus n00b but you are one

Yell at the and tell them to shut the ***k up. Then if they chuck a spas I push them away from eachother. Then if they start punching I fling one of them to the ground and push the other dude away. If they are my friends or if I know them Rolling Eyes
Post 01 May 2008 08:14 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wil555
Clouds taste metallic

_Tim_ wrote:
Big brother is watching.

<3 Orwell

An internet forum is a double-edged sword, in that people can become friends with people they never would have met otherwise over something as simple as a seven year old video game. The downside is that people can also be jerks to people they never would have met otherwise.

Sometimes, members have a low tolerance for new members or members who ask simple questions or model buses. For instance, the "google it" response, though obviously beaten to death, becomes a scolding instead of a suggestion. "Why post it unless you plan to release it" is another response that tends to make people cranky - it's called "Post Your Project," not "Post my soon-to-be-released Project."

From what I've observed, it seems like most members here go through three stages: The N00b stage (not an insult, just a term for people just starting at the forum), wherein people familiarize themselves with the forum, get to know people, decide if they want to stick around. This is followed by the Modelling stage, wherein the member makes an attempt (earnest or half-hearted) to mod MM2. Many members give it a good shot, and a lot give up once they realize how much effort it takes. I'm impressed by some of the new members and their dedication to modding and how much they want to learn. After the modding stage ends, or the member becomes a well-accepted modder, the member reaches a third stage, for which I can't think of a name. But for the most part, these members move to the Soap Box, Technical Support, and Image Gallery, as they have finished with MM2, although they usually check PYP just to see what's up.

The problem here is that each stage has its own issues, I've noticed. Sometimes, n00bs get defensive about their projects, or they ask questions and get snapped at by an older member, and then they simply leave. Modders can get defensive about their projects, or not open themselves to criticisms. The second and third stages contains some members that tend to think they run the place, and they can snap at people and be jerks because they've been here longer, and there's nothing that a person across the globe on a computer can do, so they feel a little bigger (in the pants).

I still think this is a COMMUNITY, where people should be HELPING each other and having civilized discussions, be it about a modeled bus, a weekly debate, or Geof. I think we all joined to meet people who share a common interest, and sometimes we forget that we didn't join to tell people what to do or put them down.
Post 01 May 2008 01:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bradley_Wint
MM2C Guru

Xbox Live Gamertag:
braddor

Rippance wrote:
I'd use the argument "we're all adults" but I feel that doesn't really apply here.

I ask you: what do you normally do when you see two people arguing in a way that looks like might get out of hand soon?
Say "Guys Guys, break it up....let's just end this and I'll buy you all a couple of beers Laughing"

But on a serious note, yes I would have to agree that arguing is a short term thing and all it needs is a quick intervention. However, a persistent arguer should be warned though.

@wil555 - I remember back in the days when the first few buses came out, I was very happy to see a different type of vehicle come out. I enjoyed seeing buses, trucks, ARVs, etc... but the problem with some bus people stemmed when gangs formed and wars began. I mean yes you can have "Companies" but they don't need to fight. In Flight Simulator, there are endless Virtual Airlines, and you know what, most of them work in harmony to help each other. Dunno why it can't be the same.

As for noobies, well I guess what happens is, the level of noobishniss has increased. When we were noobs, I guess we were not as lazy and just posted a thread to find out if a certain vehicle was released. You know what's funny, over at the vBulletin official site, they have a discussion forum and people ask for mods over and over, and you know what, no one says "Google It", they actually look it up and post a reply. Maybe we should follow suit. Considering the fact that a lot of people hate buses now, new bus members get an automatic flaming even though they do nothing wrong. The newer crowd is getting younger as the years pass by (meaning as time passes by, younger and younger people join).

I guess your 3 stage theory is right...I've been a noob, modeled something (should finish it soon Mr. Green) and then became an older member (still younger in comparison to others). So what do we do to change people's willingness to take criticisms and comments? I dunno. Somehow this isn't going to change.
Post 01 May 2008 02:28 pm
HummersRock
...is still seeing colours.

When it comes to these bus people, they seem to do more then a quick argue. I'm betting more argues will come up.

I understand people can get real mad by seeing someone say "Google it". But guess what, if we go help them instead of saying "Google it", you know how we get the info? Unless we know it, WE GOOGLE IT.

I won't say anything else...it would only start something.. Rolling Eyes
Post 01 May 2008 05:02 pm
V-Thirteen
Dog On Wheels

Some of the bus noobs are a bit demanding, yes, but I've seen quite a few people grow up and become more mature, like Jonny boy, he used to annoy the hell out of me but eventually he grew up and I quite respect him now!
Post 01 May 2008 05:22 pm
john20bp
MM2C Hooligan

Oh yes!

If we just ignore the idiots they will stop.

Don't ride their wave Razz
Post 01 May 2008 05:27 pm
n308xrp
First Eastern Counites........

Razz i personnally am getting annoyed with the 5000 bus boys on here Confused

Many Thanks & Best Wishes
Jamie L Vendy

From the 01/07/2009 the all new look East England Bus Page will be coming =)
Post 01 May 2008 05:37 pm
busboy99
MM2C Hooligan

Yours truly.
A boy was singing in a school hall when suddenly the immensity of the infinite universe hit him, and his eyes blasted out of their sockets and his lips burst and he fell to the ground and wept, his conciousness leaking out of his skull in gas form (which frightened the younger children).
- Chriddof
Also, I'm banned.
Post 01 May 2008 05:39 pm
n308xrp
First Eastern Counites........

sorry i mean 'busboy**' people

Many Thanks & Best Wishes
Jamie L Vendy

From the 01/07/2009 the all new look East England Bus Page will be coming =)
Post 01 May 2008 05:40 pm
busboy99
MM2C Hooligan

Ohh, well you can't blame me, I am the origninal...
A boy was singing in a school hall when suddenly the immensity of the infinite universe hit him, and his eyes blasted out of their sockets and his lips burst and he fell to the ground and wept, his conciousness leaking out of his skull in gas form (which frightened the younger children).
- Chriddof
Also, I'm banned.
Post 01 May 2008 05:42 pm

Page 1 of 4 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: