Midtown Madness 2 Central > Image Gallery > PowerMac G4 to PC conversion [WIP]
View previous topic | View next topic
Author
Message Post new topicReply to topic
QuickSilver
Leave Me Alone

Post subject: PowerMac G4 to PC conversion [WIP] Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Well, thought I would actually make a start with planning the proposed conversion of my PowerMac G4 case into a PC.

So far I have this:

Not a great deal there but it's a start.

As you can see, the main heart of the system will be a Zotac Geforce 9300-WIFI mini ITX board....it is a fabulous looking bit of kit and reading reviews on it, is just as impressive to run.

Features Socket 775 with support up to Core2Quad, PCI-E 2.0 16x slot for hybrid SLI, 3 SATA + 1 eSATA, and plenty of USB connections.

Also planning to install:

Zalman ZM500-HP 500watt modular PSU (courtesy of Overclockers.co.uk) - this has support for 20pin motherboard connection which is needed for the board.
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz (courtesy of Scan.co.uk - unless I find cheaper)
3Gb DDR2 ram (I won't be using the onboard graphics so no point in going higher than this) - most likely Crucial
LG DVD+RW/DL/CD-RW SATA drive (have this already)
200Gb Seagate SATA hdd (have this already)
10cm PCI-E 16x extension cable (required due to position of motherboard) (courtesy of mini-itx.com)
1Gb Gigabyte 9400GT PCI-E 16x graphics card (courtesy of scan.co.uk)

Cooling won't be a big issue as I intend to cut out the apple logo's on both side panels, and installing a fan on each - one drawing air in and one drawing air out.

Not much to look at so far, but it is a start and I can start acquiring the required parts I need to complete this G4PC.

Please note that the PSU in the shot is NOT the one I will be using - it is a cheap and nasty P4/AMD K7 compatible PSU that I had lying spare. Also, the only mod I have done internally is to remove the big metal bracket that was underneath the PSU/CD caddy.
Post 12 Oct 2009 01:03 pm
busboy99
MM2C Hooligan

Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you'll be drilling holes so you can actually attach peripherals? Razz

Nice start mate!
A boy was singing in a school hall when suddenly the immensity of the infinite universe hit him, and his eyes blasted out of their sockets and his lips burst and he fell to the ground and wept, his conciousness leaking out of his skull in gas form (which frightened the younger children).
- Chriddof
Also, I'm banned.
Post 12 Oct 2009 02:44 pm
QuickSilver
Leave Me Alone

Post subject: Reply with quote

graphics card is gonna be more of an issue than I first realised, so I may ditch it in favour of using the onboard.

Afterall, from what I've read about the motherboard online is that I can allocate 512Mb to the onboard graphics which means I can install 4Gb ram.

Might use the difference in cash to make a few other alterations - like maybe more cooling.....
Post 12 Oct 2009 07:56 pm

Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to: