[ Midtown Madness 2 Central ] [ Midtown Madness 2 Central ]

Midtown Madness 2 Central > Soap Box > Fan controllers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic | View next topic
Author
Message Post new topicReply to topic
Busdude666
MM2C Maniac

Post subject: Fan controllers? Reply with quote

Do you use one for your computer?

I was thinking of purchasing one, since my case fans are plugged into the 5v pin on the PSU molex connector (mobo only has one socket) and this doesn't provide alot of cooling power. I could hook them up to 12v but this is too noisy for my liking. So if I used a fan controller I could connect it to 12v then tone it down a little and get around 8-9v which would provide adequate cooling but not too much noise.

If any of you use them, could you recommend one? One that fits in a CD Drive bay would be preferable. I have 2 fans I want to control. One is blowing against the graphics card and the other exhausts air out the back of the case.

(For anyone that says "go to a pc forum", I have. But I just thought I'd post it here aswell.) Smile
Post 17 Sep 2011 04:04 pm
random.monster1981
Amateur Modeller ftw!

Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I could find, Though it does use 2 DVD Drive bays it should be alright if you have plenty of empty bays below your DVD Smile
Post 17 Sep 2011 04:44 pm
Busdude666
MM2C Maniac

Thanks Gizmo. But no, I have a DVD-RW & 1 blank bay underneath. Sad
Post 17 Sep 2011 05:48 pm
HummeR
Is a failure.

I use a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme. It supports up to six case fans, which is how many I have. Max 30W per channel. It fits into just one CD/DVD slot. My only complaint with it, is that it has bright LEDs. But a little electrical tape fixed that. Razz

I don't know how good it is, but it's worked fine for me and I've never had any problems with it. Although if I have the fan speeds set too low, they won't turn on when the computer starts up.

All I did to find it was go on newegg, look through the reviews, and looked for one that supported 6 fans and had the fewest reports of problems. So I can't really help you much. Embarassed
Post 17 Sep 2011 07:39 pm
_Tim_
Kiwilicious
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
TimNZ

Fan controllers .. How very late 90's, early 00's!

I control mine via software if I ever need to, they take care of themselves.

You could shove resistors in the wires to the fan(s), or better yet wire in a variable resistance knob.

No need to spend large amounts on gaudy hardware when you can do it yourself for a few dollars and without the visual disturbance.
Post 17 Sep 2011 11:21 pm
Outback2k1
No frackin' way!

Zalman Fanmate. Cheap and simple.
Post 18 Sep 2011 06:57 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Busdude666
MM2C Maniac

That looks interesting HummeR, but it's a bit too pricey.

And Tim, I only wish they would take care of themselves. Your fans will be connected to the mobo if you can control them with software. I have to connect them to the PSU. The board is getting on now, but still plays the games I wanna play smoothly. Just the graphics card gets hot. Neutral

And the Zalman fanmate... http://tinyurl.com/5uarhao. LOL! Shame the postage is £5 otherwise that would be one excellent buy. I know it's only for one fan, but if I connected both my fans to it, would it split the voltage between the two or give them both 12v?
Post 18 Sep 2011 09:28 am
_Tim_
Kiwilicious
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
TimNZ

I thought GPU fans take care of themselves also. If it's just your card you're concerned about, perhaps consider this thing. I've used one for a similar purpose and it worked well.
Post 18 Sep 2011 06:21 pm
Outback2k1
No frackin' way!

Busdude666 wrote:
And the Zalman fanmate... http://tinyurl.com/5uarhao. LOL! Shame the postage is £5 otherwise that would be one excellent buy.

Click through to see other sellers and there's one for £3.95 with free shipping.

Quote:
I know it's only for one fan, but if I connected both my fans to it, would it split the voltage between the two or give them both 12v?

They'd still both run at whatever voltage you set the fanmate to. However, I'm not sure if it would be able to handle the extra amps. Better off just buying 2. Razz

@Tim: He said they're case fans. Sounds like a side intake and the normal rear exhaust.
Post 18 Sep 2011 09:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Busdude666
MM2C Maniac

Yeah, one takes air in from the front, blows it over the graphics card and there's the exhaust fan at the back. I was going to go for the fanmates because they're cheap, but in a few years when I have a much better computer the chances are I'm going to have more fans. So I went for this one.

It can control 3 fans, the fourth knob is to control the intensity of the red LEDs.

I also liked this one, but it's too expensive for just two fans.

Thanks everyone for helping! Smile
Post 20 Sep 2011 06:13 pm
Lynxman
20% Cooler

You lot and your big pc's... *SIGH*
I'm stuck with just 2gb of ram and a 256mb graphics card Sad
Better than my old one, 256mb ram ftw!!!
Post 22 Sep 2011 06:24 am
JoeShmo
JoeShmo.Net

This looks like it would work perfect

Seriously though, just buy a couple of the cheap things OB posted.. no reason to get all 'casemod.com circa 1998'ish'
Post 22 Sep 2011 01:09 pm
Busdude666
MM2C Maniac

Maybe yous were right. Item arrived this morning. Set it up straight away, result! So I walk down the stairs to make a hot chocolate and when I came back up, computer had gone off. I thought "oh it's just gone to sleep" but when I turned it back on, it would only power on for like 5 seconds then went back off.

I inspected it and found that the CPU heatsink (despite going nowhere near this) was absolutely boiling. I could not touch it. The PC had only been on for about 5 minutes. I left it to cool down, still wouldn't come on. I got pissed off with it, ripped out the PSU and all the other 'removable' components. Put it back together, now it comes on but it's still overheating very quickly and CPU fan is now out (even though when it overheated that worked).

Any ideas? Have I **** up the PSU by putting these fans in? Help, please. Sad
Post 22 Sep 2011 02:46 pm
evo
MM2C Guru

Now you can make hot chocolate with your PC Laughing

Seriously though, either take the fans out and never touch them again, and if it still doesn't work, check your bios; or just check that you followed mobo instructions/fan instructions down to the letter.
Your PC will shut down if it gets near too hot, which is usually ~120°c I believe, but if the fan ain't working rightly, it will probably be a misconfiguration or something in bios/setup/missed wire
Post 22 Sep 2011 03:20 pm
Lynxman
20% Cooler

Or just get a poundland fan, take off the side of your computer and point it in there! Laughing
Post 22 Sep 2011 06:00 pm

Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: