Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic | View next topic
Author
Message Post new topicReply to topic
JoeShmo
JoeShmo.Net

Post subject: The Battle: Part 2 Reply with quote

The Battle: Part 2

This is a post I was not ever planning on having to think about, never mind compose. For those of you that I have not already spoken to I'd just like to get in front of the rumors and let everyone know what's transpired in the last week. On Thursday 4/2/15 I went in to my oncologists office for a routine quarterly spinal tap and chemo. As my blood numbers the previous 2 weeks had been indicative that my body was trying to fight something they chose to do a bone marrow test while I was under anesthesia, rather than waiting until I felt ill and had to be put under again anyway. The results were not at all what I was hoping to hear. After confirming with the clinical pathologist the following morning, I was diagnosed with Therapy-Related Acute Myeloid Leukemia. The course of treatment will be far different from my last battle in that the chemo itself SHOULD only last about 10 days, followed by 4-6 weeks of in-hospital recovery time to bring my immune system back up to snuff. That will be followed by a bone-marrow transplant assuming a donor can be located.

I've beat cancer once and I will do it again, however I may need your help. At some point throughout this process I will post information regarding HLA type-matching looking for a bone-marrow donor. Unfortunately as an only child, there is only a 30% chance that anyone in my immediate family will be a match. Without this transplant the disease will without a doubt take my life. I would love to see my Dad's children grow up and maybe give my grandfather some great-grandchildren... so that is not an option.

I go in tomorrow for my weekly blood tests, pending the results I may be immediately admitted and begin treatment or I can delay a few days to get things squared away at home / work.

Prayers will gladly be accepted.. If you're of that persuasion.
Post 06 Apr 2015 02:49 am
Sameer
My World

Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JoeShmo,

I am aware of your earlier battle with cancer from another thread and as shocked and saddened I am to read that you are having to face this battle once again, I know that you are a strong person and that you've already beat it once and I hope and pray you will definitely kick cancer's ass this time around as well.

I hope you will be able to find matching donor asap and once and if you do post the information here I will do all I can to help you out with finding a matching donor, as I'm sure other MM2Cers reading this will do as well.

If you need any kind of help with anything else at all just let us know brother, we're all here for you.

You are a survivor and you will win this battle just like you have won it before.

Stay strong brother! Smile
Post 07 Apr 2015 09:28 pm
carking1996
MM2C Too Much

I hope you stay strong and fight it away for good this time!
Post 29 Apr 2015 10:24 am
Sameer
My World

Hey JoeShmo,

Please update us about your health if you're reading this.

I hope to hear good news from you.

Stay strong mate. Smile
Post 15 Jun 2015 08:00 pm
Diablo
Fool With Max

Post subject: Bearer of bad news Reply with quote

Hello old friends,

I regret to inform you all that our good friend, JoeShmo, succumbed to his leukemia on September 6th, 2015. He passed on with his parents and his fiance at his side.

Shmo was a hell of a fighter, and even better friend. He will always be remembered, and he will always be missed.

Sincerely,
[4D]Prontera
Post 17 Sep 2015 05:34 am
Roadie
Agent 69

nooooo. Sad

RIP Joe. You will be dearly missed. Crying or Very sad
Post 17 Sep 2015 02:28 pm
Legoguy
Lego Maniac
Administrator

Rest in peace, old friend. You will be missed. Sad
"There is no loneliness on this planet. All the dark things are in your mind. This place is colorful and neutral; brutal, nice, caring and destructive -- all at the same time. Start to think a little." -- Pete Namlook; The Dark Side of the Moog X: Astro Know Me Domina, Part I
Post 17 Sep 2015 02:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
topbob
Insane Quality Machinama

Good-bye Joe, you remain immortalized in our memories, thoughts, hearts, and of course, on the internet.

4D Productions | Tim is a alien, I found him - BONIC team | this WEEK in TECH | Topbob.net
Post 17 Sep 2015 05:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
_Mad_Man_2k
MM2C Addict

RIP shmo.

Best wishes to his surviving family members, hope they are coping OK and find relief that his pain his over.
Post 17 Sep 2015 10:57 pm
Dudes__Geof_
#mm2c ninja

RIP JoeShmo. You were a great guy and will be missed. My thoughts are with your family.

You will not be forgotten.
Post 18 Sep 2015 12:03 am
Awesys

Very sad news. Rest in peace friend. My condolences go out to his family and friends of this kind gentleman.

Though we never met in person, you made a big impact on the community.
Post 18 Sep 2015 02:41 am
Sameer
My World

This is a very sad news indeed. Words can't describe what I'm feeling right now.

Having known someone from my childhood going back to almost 12 years or so, having spent countless and priceless hours just having fun and fooling around on IRC, talking about mundane every day things like games, movies etc, cracking jokes, having silly fights etc on an almost daily basis all throughout my childhood into late teens.

Hearing about this news makes me feel like a part of me has gone, a part of my childhood and the so-called "golden days" is no more.

Most of us are no longer kids but adults now in this community, and this is one aspect of being an adult and just life in general that is very hard to accept and deal with.

I can't help myself but just remember all the fun times we had, even if it was through the medium of the internet and not in person - its just an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia and grief. Even though I never met JoeShmo in real life, I feel like an elder brother has passed away.

Rest in peace my friend. You will be in my memories forever.
Post 19 Sep 2015 07:06 pm
_Tim_
Kiwilicious
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
TimNZ

This news hit me hard, having been fortunate enough to meet JoeShmo, and had just talked to him on IRC what must have been a couple of weeks before he left us.

He was strong, spirited, and oh so happy. We were discussing his future, our lives, and when we would next meet.

I'll save the reminiscing, but it goes to show you, as Sameer mentioned, what an impact someone on the other side of the world typing to you can make. We all essentially grew up together; we're a part of each others lives. It's incredible.

My heart goes out to Joe's family, fiancée, and friends. He was well loved by all he met, may he rest in peace. <3
Post 22 Sep 2015 03:50 am
Bladerunner
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ spice of life

I did, of course, hear this sad news on IRC but I did not see this thread until now; I've come to pay my respects to an awesome member of this community.

Rest in peace, JoeShmo. You were, and still are, an invaluable member of our community—both forums and IRC—and a good friend. I enjoyed talking with you over the past 14 years, and I regret to say that with your passing comes a huge loss—not only for this community, but also your fiancé, family, and friends, of course. It's a testament to your character how strongly your absence has been felt here, and so I can only begin to imagine how your loved ones feel—my heart is with them as well.

I'm just really sorry this happened to you. It's hard to think of someone who deserved that less than you. The best I can wish for you is that you are at peace now, wherever you may be. Sad

Rest in peace, buddy.

Post 14 Dec 2015 12:06 pm
T-Series
a little more interested....

Pronny (Diablo) kindly directed me that this thread existed. Been nearly 10 years since I've logged on but just wanted to share my thoughts with people who knew him as well.

I sometimes glance at my Steam friends list and notice that he hasn't logged on for a hundred something days and briefly think "he'll be back soon, treatment is taking a bit longer than normal". I then snap back to the unfortunate reality that it is and know that's not true. That it wont happen. That does make me sad.

Thank you Joe. We drifted apart for a few years doing our adult things but I am eternally grateful that we connected again before you passed. That we enjoyed those games online together for what would be the last time.

While I am terribly sad that you aren't here, I am happy that you aren't in pain anymore.

Always your mate,

T
Post 25 Jan 2016 01:13 am

Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: