[ Midtown Madness 2 Central ] [ Midtown Madness 2 Central ]

Midtown Madness 2 Central > The Bodyshop > Animated textures (continued from City Editing)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic | View next topic
Author
Message Post new topicReply to topic
Legoguy
Lego Maniac
Administrator

Post subject: Animated textures (continued from City Editing) Reply with quote

Continued from: City Editing: Animation

Yep that's right, Martin_Sw gave us some good advice after he got smashingpunk's animated texture working in a city. So I took the info, applied it to my Hovercraft which I had always wanted to have a spinning propeller, and, it WORKS!

Here's how:

Make each frame of your animation like this:

fan-0001.tga << first frame
fan-0002.tga << 2nd, so on.

Make another, fan.tga, and use that to map with in zm.

Export it to mm2, and delete fan.tga (this will make mm2 look for the movie file).

Make a .movie file, such as fan.movie, with its contents being rate 100 (that's the framerate my fan is at). That's all that needs to go into the file. just one line, rate [framerate].

Put that into your tune folder.

Put the whole thing into mm2, and viola! MOVING TEXTURES!

You can try my hovercraft by going to my TurboGfx Cars Page and downloading it there.]

UPDATE: WINDSHIELD WIPERS ARE POSSIBLE!!!

I'll let you in on it once it's ready, it has something to do with another suffix Very Happy
"There is no loneliness on this planet. All the dark things are in your mind. This place is colorful and neutral; brutal, nice, caring and destructive -- all at the same time. Start to think a little." -- Pete Namlook; The Dark Side of the Moog X: Astro Know Me Domina, Part I

Last edited by Legoguy on 16 Sep 2008 07:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post 04 May 2003 09:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Da_Motax
Camber Whore

Post subject: Reply with quote

kewl, gotta try that out soon Very Happy
Post 04 May 2003 09:29 pm
Jason
ಠ__ಠ

im gonna test your buggy in game Mr. Green
Post 04 May 2003 10:08 pm
Bonfire
Dead Man's Ruin

oh oh i just had an idea while looking at Rich's dash thread!

with these animated textures, would it be possible to add a digital speedometer to dashes i wonder?

just something to think about or whatever Razz
Post 04 May 2003 10:47 pm
Legoguy
Lego Maniac
Administrator

WINDSHIELD WIPERS: POSSIBLE, INDEED!!!

Here's exactly how to do it.

Use your default texture to map to, such as hover_main.tga (like my hovercraft uses)

After mapping, rename that texture to whatever-0001.tga. (hover_main-0001.tga)

Make your individual animation frames named this: whatever-0001_fa.tga (_fa designates on when raining, hover_main-0001_fa.tga through hover_main-0012_fa.tga [12 frames])

Make a whatever.movie file in the tune folder with the same contents as mentioned in the first post. Copy it, and name it whatever_fa.movie.

That's it! remember, you only need one frame for the day texture, but it needs to be marked as a frame (whatever-0001.tga).

Download my hovercraft (again) from This page to see it in action.
"There is no loneliness on this planet. All the dark things are in your mind. This place is colorful and neutral; brutal, nice, caring and destructive -- all at the same time. Start to think a little." -- Pete Namlook; The Dark Side of the Moog X: Astro Know Me Domina, Part I

Last edited by Legoguy on 16 Sep 2008 07:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post 04 May 2003 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Devilsdog9
MM2C Maniac

Xbox Live Gamertag:
Z Lover

i bet you could but it woiuldnt work right since its a movie and not speed activated
Post 04 May 2003 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr_Sparkle
Disrespectful To Dirt

Devilsdog9 wrote:
i bet you could but it woiuldnt work right since its a movie and not speed activated

Yeah, you could make the numbers loop but you'd need to figure out a way to make them go up/down according to the car's speed.
Post 04 May 2003 10:55 pm
Rippance
Hates Custom Titles
Administrator

Xbox Live Gamertag:
Rippance

And oh, 'us' would include me too Wink I just had a random moment when Legoguy pondered if there was a similar suffix for rain as there is for night. Didn't take too long to realise there was.

Checking if you can hook up the speed of the animation to the speed of the car would be cool, but I think impossible. The .movie file determines the framerate already.

EDIT: There is also a _f suffix used for sunny weather. Where it is needed is still unclear and as Legoguy somewhat said it, it's not really needed. You might recognize the suffix from the names of the road textures and that's exactly where I got the idea from.

Glad to see it's working. I am not familiar with the ways _ni can be used on objects other than the BODY. But if it works the same you could think of mud on your wheels, slowly glowing in/out of braking disks etc. And all of this two years after the game's release .. hehe Wink

w: http://www.crumbl.com
c: #mm2c @ irc.gamesurge.net

Last edited by Rippance on 04 May 2003 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post 04 May 2003 10:59 pm
Legoguy
Lego Maniac
Administrator

Bonfire wrote:
oh oh i just had an idea while looking at Rich's dash thread!

with these animated textures, would it be possible to add a digital speedometer to dashes i wonder?

just something to think about or whatever Razz

Nope, it's a movie file, the digital numbers would always be cycling through at a constant rate completley irrelivantly to the speed Wink

BUT, if Ripp finds the variable of the speed that's shown on the HUD, we could have speed-dependent propellers Very Happy
Post 04 May 2003 11:00 pm
SSJ3_Vegeta
The Silver Baller

Rippance wrote:
I just had a random moment when Legoguy pondered if there was a similar suffix for rain as there is for night. Didn't take too long to realise there was.

So, technically, we could make cars with moving windshield wipers that only move when you have the weather on Rainy?
Post 04 May 2003 11:11 pm
Legoguy
Lego Maniac
Administrator

Exactly. Thats what the hovercraft does Very Happy
Post 04 May 2003 11:16 pm
Bladerunner
MM2C Addict

I just downloaded the hovercraft.. Awesome! Good work guys, it's cool Nod

"Once you know what it is you want to be true, instinct is a very useful device for enabling you to know that it is." -- Douglas Adams; So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, Chapter VII (1984)

"He who formerly was reckless and afterwards became sober brightens up this world like the moon when freed from clouds." -- Sacred Books of the East, Vol. 10; The Dhammapada, Chapter XIII: The World
Post 04 May 2003 11:23 pm
Legoguy
Lego Maniac
Administrator

Took a few tries to get it working, but I'm glad it does Very Happy
Post 05 May 2003 12:07 am
LCT2_O_Adam12
Banned

lol, you guys act like this is something new... this guy has been using them on his busses for a while (he has moving fans ect) http://jlb6.tmfc.net/mm2_down.htm
Post 05 May 2003 12:25 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jason
ಠ__ಠ

try making a 3d blade, its possible if you think the way im thinking.
Post 05 May 2003 12:25 am

Page 1 of 7 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to: