Midtown Madness 2 Central > City Editing > [RTI] Pathsets: Basic file format
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic | View next topic
Author
Message Post new topicReply to topic
fre_ber
triangle fan

Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... Yes, some vague memories of our previous discussion are creeping back... This feels strange... I don't drink and I don't smoke, still my memory works like I'm sliding around the galaxy having my brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

I was correct though, it appears as if my idea about the orientation of the prop was controlled by the vector between p0 and p1 might be wrong. It might just be the way I apply that vector, but when I corrected the orientation of those barricades, the orientation of the Civic Centre exit signs turned 90 degrees off. These are oriented in the same quadrant as the barricades, at least one of them. It is possible that something else affects this as well as that vector.

"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."

<[4D]JoeShmo> what we have here, is a failure.. to communicate
Post 04 Aug 2004 05:04 pm
BoosterMM
Making mm2 tracks

I have seen that using the crossing coordenates of .opp files the cars only follows the route through the road from crossing to crossing.
I have found that for make a car to follow a route out of the road throught places as the grass, an .inst,... are needed the paths defined in the "City/cityname/cityname.pathset" file. However I have tried to create my own path beetween 2 far crossing coordenates but the car doesn't follow it, it stops in the crossing coordenate before than the path and after some seconds it goes to coordenate 0,0,0 (Maybe because lots of paths ends in that coordenate and the cars have found them before mine) Someone knows how make possible a car to follow a custom path?

So, don't smoke, and don't work Very Happy
Post 24 Sep 2004 06:39 pm
fre_ber
triangle fan

What? Are you sure about this? I didn't think that pathset files had anything to do with anything except decals and stationary and moving props such as extra crosswalks, trees and surfers.

Post 24 Sep 2004 06:55 pm
Jason
ā˛ __ā˛ 

i think that the surfers are props because i remember one time that someone had a surfer sticking out of their car somehow and i dont know what im talking about, sorry..

if you took a guess, how do you think that the props in sf and london were placed? for all we know, they could of had a room full of monkeys on computers placing props and then they combine them at the end... i dunno but there are squirrels in the trees and that makes me wonder
Post 25 Sep 2004 01:02 am
TheMadMonkey
MM2Cars.com Pimp

Jason wrote:
how do you think that the props in sf and london were placed? for all we know, they could of had a room full of monkeys on computers placing props and then they combine them at the end...

hey i resemble that remark! Confused lol

www.M-JR.com | www.MM2Cars.com | www.MadScriptMonkey.com
Post 25 Sep 2004 02:44 am
BoosterMM
Making mm2 tracks

fre_ber wrote:
What? Are you sure about this? I didn't think that pathset files had anything to do with anything except decals and stationary and moving props such as extra crosswalks, trees and surfers.

Yes I'm sure about that, look at the sf.pathset file (London doesn't have this file) how do you think that for example in race8 (in game checkpoint "wanted!") the opponents goes through the grass and the insts instead of following crossings??

I asked because I though someone else knew it and could help...

Post 25 Sep 2004 07:21 am
fre_ber
triangle fan

sf.pathset places props in SF, london.pathset places props in London. I have not seen anything in either of the files that imply that they define the AI shortcuts. Of course, I haven't seen anything that could define these shortcuts anywhere yet. But since all paths I have seen in the pathset files actually place props, I don't think that these control opponents. I think that the pathset files in the race folders just place additional props for the various races, such as road cones, parked cars and similar.

Post 25 Sep 2004 12:13 pm
Stereo
Senior Dismember

The AI routes are defined by a list of points. Some of those routes go through parks or stuff, since every car has a different one.

I think studying how the cops move would be more interesting, they have to drive an unplanned route through the city Confused

A member of Team Graduation 2004/05!
Post 25 Sep 2004 04:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BoosterMM
Making mm2 tracks

Stereo wrote:
The AI routes are defined by a list of points. Some of those routes go through parks or stuff, since every car has a different one.

Yes I knew it, these points are in .opp files, and the coordenates of these points are crossing coordenates (unless some coordenates like sometimes where the car starts) because if they aren't, the opponents (or hookmen cars) don't follows the route (The car starts to do 360ē turnings and usually ends going to coordenate 0,0,0, in my opinion because some of the paths defined in sf.pathset file ends in that coordenate and the car finds following one of these paths).
And I know too that the opponents crosses the grass, insts,... But how can them do it? For this function were invented the paths of pathset files.
An example:
Look the route of race8, how the opponent goes for example in race8-p-1.opp from coordenate -638.533630,17.349800,452.591034 to -572.190979,25.419800,1047.680908 crossing the big parking of inst exactly by the jump?? The answer is PATH13 (object 12 of city/sf/sf.pathset) the first 3 subobject is the first way the opponents can follow and the other is the alternative way.

Sorry if I haven't explained well before, maybe my English is the problem, hope this time you guys understood it, I though you know more than me in this, so I asked about a working custom PATH.

Fre_Ber wrote:
sf.pathset places props in SF, london.pathset places props in London.

Er.., what london.pathset?? Rolling Eyes I know props.pathset of London and SF and pathsets of race folder places props, but I'm meaning sf.pathset. This isn't something very important, but if you want to understand what I mean, rely in me and take a look to it Wink

Post 25 Sep 2004 07:23 pm
fre_ber
triangle fan

Sorry, my mistake. I mixed up the names of the files. But opponents use shortcuts in London as well as SF, don't they?

Post 25 Sep 2004 08:27 pm
Yallis
Professional Sucker

BoosterMM - Aha! Great discovery, I've been wondering what those PATH* paths were doing.
Post 25 Sep 2004 08:37 pm
Jason
ā˛ __ā˛ 

Booster- what are the "sub objects" in the sf pathset? are they refferences to files or are they numerical vaules?

btw: what are those Aimap files for?
Post 26 Sep 2004 12:57 am
fre_ber
triangle fan

Jason wrote:

http://forum.mm2c.com/viewtopic.php?t=2383

Post 26 Sep 2004 09:03 am
BoosterMM
Making mm2 tracks

Fre_Ber wrote:
Sorry, my mistake. I mixed up the names of the files. But opponents use shortcuts in London as well as SF, don't they?

You have reason, in London the opponents uses shortcuts, and in London there isn't a london.pathset file with PATHs. In SF all the shortcuts that can't be get from crossing to crossing fits with some PATH.

Maybe London works in different way than SF because for example the 2 first starting coordenates are different in each city (at .opp files): In SF the coordenate where the car starts is placed the first before than the first checkpoint, while in London the first checkpoint is placed before than the starting coordenate wich is strangely placed in second place.
Other difference between both cities is that in SF I can add hookmen cars while in London not (maybe by its strange way of starting or maybe because in the roam.aimap files of London there isn't a [hookmen] line.

However maybe London hasn't a london.pathset because it could be hardcoded Sad and Angel Studios forgot to delete the sf.pathset. I say it because I have tried to modify a PATH and the opponents as the hookmen cars followed the old PATH instead of the new one, that must be the reason because they didn't follow my custom PATH.

Yallis wrote:
BoosterMM - Aha! Great discovery, I've been wondering what those PATH* paths were doing.

Thanks man, but if they are hardcoded, we can't do any...

Jason wrote:
Booster- what are the "sub objects" in the sf pathset? are they refferences to files or are they numerical vaules?

When there is something that I don't know how is called in English I usually invent a word for call it Embarassed In pathsets the object have 2 values, the first value is for different objects and the second for repeated objects or objects for the same group, so I call the second ones "sub objects"

About .aimap files there is information here: http://forum.mm2c.com/viewtopic.php?t=2383&start=0

EDIT:
Oh, thanks Fre_Ber, I have seen that you have put a link while I was writting Smile

NOTES:

The last "subobject" of the PATH always end in coordenate 0,0,0, maybe this is for indicate to the car that it must end in origin if doesn't find the route.

There are other interesting .pathsets with PATH just like race/london_train.pathset that seems to indicate the ways of the underground trains.

Post 26 Sep 2004 09:41 am
fre_ber
triangle fan

Maxoff wrote:
Hi!

In my opition, you should change props spec. I'm talking about description:
fre_ber wrote:
For the Points path type the point list is a sequence of point pairs. The first point is the position of the prop and the second defines the direction of one of the local coordinate axis. In the Lines path type there is also a sequence of point pairs. Here the two points define a line segment and props are placed along the entire line using spacing as the distance between each prop. The next two vertices in the sequence define a completely new line segment. For the Line strip path type, the sequence is no longer a list of pairs. Instead the points 0 and 1 defines the first line segment, just as in the previous type, but the next line segment is defined by point 1 and 2, the next by point 2 and 3 and so on. Each line segment is filled with props, spaced by the spacing parameter.

because it's wrong. I've used it when I was developing MM2CT and it caused problems. I've checked few things and found how it works.

I've also found one small post of Yallis which explained everything (I missed it before):
Yallis wrote:
Also, I don't think type 0, points, need two vertices, you can't rotate them. Each vertex is one prop. Great for placing trees in hillsides etc. Type 1, line, does not repeat the prop along the defined line, only type 2, line strip, can do this.

In my optinion, he's right, because:
fre_ber wrote:
For the Points path type the point list is a sequence of point pairs.

I don't agree, for example in sf/props.pathset:
a) sp_hotdogcart_f - 15 points
b) sp_stackboxbarrel_f - 7 points

It's list of single points, not pairs.

fre_ber wrote:
In the Lines path type there is also a sequence of point pairs. Here the two points define a line segment and props are placed along the entire line using spacing as the distance between each prop. The next two vertices in the sequence define a completely new line segment.

Spacing doesn't work and the second point shows direction, not the end of line (in situations I've tested). This type acts like point type.

Summary:
Props types (in my opinion):
0 - single points - no direction, one point = one position Arrow for example treepalm (index: 6 on the list) in SF
1 - directed points - list of pairs, first point is position, second point is direction Arrow for example sp_transbayexit_f (index: 46) in SF
2 - lines strip - (I haven't tested it yet)

What do you think about it ?

Thank you for this, you are probably right. I will make a new post with the complete specification when I get some time - or better yet, why don't you do it? Wink You can just quote the latest spec post, remove the quote BBTags ans correct the content according to your findings. When you do, I will update the link in Gems to make your post the latest spec. I don't have exclusive right to make specification posts. Wink

(I hope that you don't mind me posting your PM in public like this, but I thought others could be interested too)

Post 30 Sep 2005 11:14 pm

Page 5 of 6 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to: